Pages

Tuesday, April 10

Time to start the afghan!

Well here I am, starting my sock yarn afghan. I've been doing some research online for about a week and taking ideas from here there and everywhere to come up with my own version. The original idea came from Steph's blog where she asked her readers to drown a lady in sock yarn {Shelly Kang}, and seeing Andrea's version of the afghan in person at one of our knitting meetings. I also found some great information at Knitting at Knoon that will be really helpful.

Last week I did up my first swatches, and wasn't totally pleased with my results. I want a stockinette version, and as many of you know, stockinette isn't even when it comes to stitches and rows like garter is. Garter stitch is approximately two rows to one stitch, which lends itself wonderfully to making squares. Stockinette on the other hand, is roughly a 5:7 ratio, and obviously decreasing to make a square will be more complex. I've decided to decrease on every other WS row as well as every RS row. The resultant "square" isn't PERFECTLY square, but it's much more manageable. I've also decided to go with a provisional cast-on for the foundation row of "squares" since I will be doing *something* with it later. I have a feeling that a large part of the lettuce-type edge I'm getting is due to that. I will check on that once I have my first few squares done.

All that being said, here's the pattern I've written for the foundation row of squares. I'm using various wool and wool blend fingering weight leftovers as well as 3.25 mm needles. Since I normally knit socks on 2.25 or 2.5 mm needles, this will give the fabric a little more "drape", as well as some forgiveness for differences in yarns and such. I am also using a 3.75 mm crochet hook and some acrylic fingering weight yarn for my provisional cast-on. Get two of these made, and join me next time for joining them!!! I also should have pictures of this in the next installment.

Stockinette Sock Yarn Afghan - foundation row square
Using provisional cast-on method of your choice {I prefer the crochet chain cast-on}, cast on 41 sts.
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: Sl1, k17, ssk, k1, k2tog, k18
Row 4: Sl1, p16, p2tog, p1, ssp, p17
Row 5: Sl1, k15, ssk, k1, k2tog, k16
Row 6: Sl1, purl across

Rows 3-6 establish pattern. Continue in this manner until 3 stitches remain, which should be after a RS row.
Last row: Sl1, ssp, psso (1 stitch)

Do not fasten off, but leave a longish {6-12 inch} tail, and do not pull it through the last loop. This "stitch" will be used in subsequent squares.

No comments: