Pages

Tuesday, April 17

Happy 5th Alex!!!

Well I've had Blogger issues today, so it's nearly *not* his b-day anymore! But here is my birthday tribute to my youngest son:

Alex on Christmas morning


It was 5 years ago today that Derek made a stupid, idiotic resident doctor feel like he was about a pixel high by a mere dirty look. To make a *really* long story not so long, April 2002 was hell on earth for me... 18 days of false labour! Some April Fool's joke kid!!! That also entailed at *least* half a dozen dry runs to the hospital due to said false labour. As an aside, due to abdominal pain that I had around 20 weeks, we knew that I was 2 centimetres dilated from that point on... a fact that was reaffirmed at every dry run save the last one on April 16th. On that morning, aforementioned dumbass doctor proclaimed that I was only 1 cm, and it would be a week at least till I delivered. Less than 16 hours later I was wrenching Derek off of the bed by his ankles {it was around 2:30 am, and I didn't have time for niceties} screaming, "I don't think he's kidding anymore!!!" I delivered him around 4:30, which was about 18 HOURS after we were told it would be a week. Derek saw the dumbass doctor on his way out of the hospital about 7 am, and you could tell that Derek {insert Queen Victoria voice here} "was *not* amused". Add to all that, that I was about 30 seconds away from an emergency C-section, which would have meant that Derek wouldn't have seen his son's birth, and that adds up to a *very* eventful birth day!

I don't think Alex has slowed down for a minute since. He has kept us on our toes in more ways than one in his 5 years, and we wouldn't trade it for anything... yes... even all the visits from the police!!! please don't ask!! ;) With all that energy he has, and exasperation his parents have, there's never a dull moment. This kid is destined for great things, hopefully sans styrofoam in his ears. For every time you want to strangle him, and trust me there are many, there are even more times where you want to hug and squeeze him until he cries, "Uncle!" He's full of love, energy and extreme generosity, and has a curiosity that I challenge anyone to surpass.

I love you to death Alex, and if I can teach you anything that you won't go and try to learn on your own anyway, it's this: You can't buy slurpees with Canadian Tire money... no matter how cute you try to smile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo, boy!

Five year olds rock! If I could pick an "under ten" age to revisit, it would most definitely be FIVE!

Hope your birthday was amazing, and you have a great year!

Nicole your son is one handsome little guy!

Brian Roberts said...

Happy Birthday Alex, may your next 5 years be just as fun packed and full of adventure. Do not worry about adding more grey to moms hair. She dyes it you know ;). Lots of Love and Hugs Uncle Bri x