Somehow I've managed to warp the space-time continuum! I started the heel stitches on my Little Shells before I went to bed last night. I had switched the pattern to 70 stitches, to add 2 more pattern repeats, and did the heel on 34 stitches. This morning I got the heel flap and turn done, and got the gusset stitches picked up and all the decreases done by 1:30 p.m... I went down to 64 stitches for the foot. I've got 30 rows done of the foot, and since my feet are usually 65 rows before the toe decreases, I can see even this stockinette black hole being very easy to knit my way out of.
Now I'm working on the never-ending ribbing of Derek's second Columbine sock. I managed to slog through over half of the 24 rounds needed to match sock #1, and am ready to start the pattern... FINALLY! I know from sock #1 that the leg goes amazingly fast, and that means that it will be ready to be my "work sock" by the time I finish the foot on Rebecca's sock.